Design intern with a strong interest in (digital) publishing
4-6 months, 4 days a week, starting November / December 2018 (starting date can be discussed)
You will work on international publications in the field of online media in different formats (print, PDF, EPUB). The internship offers both practical experience and a chance to conduct research in the field of hybrid publishing. A strong command of the English language in reading and writing is necessary, as most of the publications are in English. We are looking for someone with a design background (graphic or interaction design) with keen interest or background in new media, writing & editing and the publishing industry. It is possible to do research for a thesis within this internship.
The Institute of Network Cultures (INC) is a media research center that actively contributes to the field of network cultures through research, events, publications, and online dialogue. The INC was founded in 2004 by media theorist Geert Lovink as part of the Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences (Hogeschool van Amsterdam). The institute acts as a framework sustaining several research projects, with a strong focus on publications. For more information see http://networkcultures.org/. For an overview of all INC publications go to http://networkcultures.org/publications. For previous work on this topic you could check out PublishingLab, which INC has previously collaborated closely with.
The internship offers you the chance to:
- Research digital publication methods and tools;
- work with the hybrid publishing workflow;
- design prototypes and mock-ups;
- assist with the production of new titles, both print and electronic, including editing manuscripts.
You will be a part of a small team within a large institution. Other tasks within the team may include:
- Attending meetings;
- researching and writing blog posts;
- collecting and reviewing interesting and relevant literature;
- assisting with other projects in the INC;
- being part of the crew at INC events.
- The opportunity to be part of a dedicated, informal, and inspirational organization with extended international networks;
- experience in the front line of new developments in publishing;
- a chance to enhance your writing, editing, media, and research skills;
- a small monthly compensation.
For further information you can contact Kelly Mostert at firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications: if you are interested please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.