For the further development of its electronic publication strategy – combining digital and print books and other media – the Institute of Network Cultures is looking for an
Intern with a strong interest in digital publishing
3-6 months, 4 days a week, starting January 2015
You will be producing international publications in the field of online media in different formats (print, PDF, epub). A strong command of the English language in reading and writing is necessary, as most of the publications are in English. We are looking for someone with a keen interest or background in new media, writing & editing and/or the book industry. It is possible to do research for a thesis within this internship.
The Institute of Network Cultures (INC) is a media research center that actively contributes to the field of network cultures through research, events, publications, and online dialogue. The INC was founded in 2004 by media theorist Geert Lovink as part of the Amsterdam University of Applied Sciences (Hogeschool van Amsterdam). The institute acts as a framework sustaining several research projects, conferences, meetings, with a strong focus on publications. For more information see https://networkcultures.org/. For an overview of all INC publications go to https://networkcultures.org/publications.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, energetic, inquisitive and precise (former) student with a demonstrated interest in the field of digital publishing and a desire to learn about books, e-books, and new media. In addition, you have strong writing and communication skills. Knowledge of WordPress, html, and social media management is a plus.
Internship duties include:
• Digitizing existing publications;
• assisting with the production of new titles, both print and electronic;
• editing manuscripts;
• preparing documents (text, images, etc.) for electronic publishing.
The intern will be a part of a small team within a large institution. Other tasks within the team may include:
• Attending meetings;
• communication and PR;
• researching and writing blog posts;
• collecting and reviewing interesting and relevant literature;
• assisting in other running projects in the INC;
• being part of the crew at INC events.
• The opportunity to be part of a dedicated, informal, and inspirational organization with extended international networks;
• experience in the front line of new developments in publishing;
• a chance to enhance your writing, editing, media, and research skills;
• a compensation of € 400 a month.
For further information you can contact Miriam Rasch, publications manager at firstname.lastname@example.org or +31 (0)20 5951865.
Applications: if you are interested please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com before November 1st 2014.