(If you missed the MoneyLab GameStop debate on Zoom, here’s the video recording. 90 people attended the lively 1:20 min. discussion chaired by Ela Kagel and other members of the MoneyLab board: https://vimeo.com/507592481)
Dear MoneyLab community,
Over the past weeks the swarm of small-time, amateur investors “revenge buying” stock in GameStop, AMC and other firms has sent shivers down the spine of Wall Street and led to unprecedented reactions from establishment experts, regulators and corporations. Is this the insurgency against the financial overlords we’ve been waiting for since the crisis of 2008? Or is it just a part of the very financial system that it claims to attack? Both? Neither?
Join members of the Moneylab board, nettimers and the other iregulars for a facilitated discussion of the causes, consequences and potentials of these historic events. Moneylab is a community of activists, artists and thinkers who, over 11+ larger events and the last seven years have gathered to dream dangerously about the radical future of money, finance and economic systems.
Possible topics include:
– How can we contribute to this epic fight against hedge funds and the broader logics of the financial ‘markets’?
– Who are the GameStop insurgents and what do they want? Is it a temporary aliiance? How about Anonymous? Is the comparison with offline talk-fest Occupy Wall Street justified and does this relate to existing forms of finance activism?
– Is it also possible to sabotage high frequency trading? How about collectively shortselling Facebook, Amazon and other tech giants?
– Is the ultimate aim to get rid of stocks, the stock market and shareholder capitalism as such?
– Can we please also get rid of the speculative HODL bitcoin mentality?
– Anyone is welcome to participate or listen-in. Please pre-register at the following link and a Zoom link will be emailed to you. A related link list with relevant materials is in the making and will be circulated soon. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
The Institute of Network Cultures/MoneyLab is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting:
Topic: MoneyLab GameStop Debate
Time: Feb 1, 2021 9 PM (CET), 8 PM (UK), 3 PM (EST), 7 AM (AUS).
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 393 333 1202MoneyLab Zoom Debate on GameStop on Monday