- Andrew Erlanger, The Curated Couple: Romantic Representation on Facebook (pdf) May 2013.
- Stijn Peeters, The IRC Paradigm: An Alternative Approach for Alternative Social Networks (pdf), May 2013.
- Stijn Peeters, Open source alternative social networks: empowering users or same old?
- Stijn Peeters, Beyond distributed and decentralized: what is a federated network?
- The Politics of Social Media. Facebook: Control & Resistance. Marc Stumpel, UvA New Media MA Thesis. August 16, 2010.
- Appendix to ‘Unlikely Outcomes’ – Unlike Us Reader
Unlike Us Reader: Social Media Monopolies and Their Alternatives
Showcasing Alternatives in Social Media
- Appleseed, Buddycloud, Crabgrass, Diaspora, Elgg, Freedombox, Friendika, GNU Social, Identi.ca, Lorea, NoseRub, Mediagoblin, OneSocialWeb, Protonet, StatusNet, Thimbl
- GNU Social/Project comparison (Wiki
- Thimbl Reader
Social What? Defining the Social
- Facebook and Philosophy: What’s on Your Mind? Edited by Dylan E. Wittkower. 2010.
- Blog theory by Jodi Dean. 2010.
- Alone Together: Why we Expect More From Technology and Less from Each Other by Sherry Turkle. 2011.
- Performing the Self: Identity on Facebook. Serena Westra. UvA New Media BA Thesis. May, 2011.
The Private in the Public
- We Are All Connected to Facebook … by Facebook! by Arnold Roosendaal. Tilburg University. February 21, 2012.
- Facebook Tracks and Traces Everyone: Like This! by Arnold Roosendaal. Tilburg University. November 30, 2010.
- Digital Personae and Profiles as Representations of Individuals by Arnold Roosendaal. Tilburg University. 2010.
- Facebook’s Privacy Trainwreck: Exposure, Invasion, and Social Convergence by boyd, Danah. 2008.
- Networked Publics: The Double Articulation of Code and Politics on Facebook by Ganaele Langlois, Greg Elmer, Fenwick McKelvey, Zachary Deveraux. 2009.
Social Media Activism and the Critique of Liberation Technology
- Distribution of Facebook Activism (DMI Wiki) Lonneke van der Velden & Clare Lee, Digital Methods Initiative. (Last revision 20 Jan 2011)
- Visualizing Facebook’s Alternative Fabric of the Web by Anne Helmond, March 12 2012
- Leaving Facebook: A compendium of reasons by Robert W Gehl, May 7th, 2010, digitalresearchers.
- Unlike : Why Facebook Integration is Actually Antisocial by Mat Honan, September 21st , Gizmodo
- Not Sharing Is Caring. Facebook’s terrible plan to get us to share everything we do on the Web by Farhad Manjoo, September 22nd, Slate.
- “Read” in Facebook – It’s Not a Button, So Be Careful What You Click! by Richard MacManus, September 22nd, Read Write Web.
- What Facebook Really Wants by Nicholas Thompson, September 22nd, The Newyorker.-The mischief of the ‘WANT’ button by Nastassia Epskamp, September 22nd, Meta Reporter.
- Facebook Users Are About To Riot Over Massive Changes, And This Is Fantastic News For Facebook by Nicholas Carlson, September 22nd, Business Insider SAI.
- Why Facebook is building a second internet. Facebook will be watching every move you make by Gary Marshall, September 23rd, Tech Radar.
- Facebook is scaring me by Dave Winer, Scripting News, September, 24th.
- Logging out of Facebook is not enough by Nik Cubrilovic, September 25th.
- As ‘Like’ Buttons Spread, So Do Facebook’s Tentacles by Riva Richmond, September 27nd, The New York Times.
- Groups ask Feds to ban Facebook’s ‘frictionless sharing’ by Declan McCullagh, Cnet News, September 29th.
- Occupying Facebook by Dave Winer, October 5th, Scripting News.
- 4chan’s Chris Poole: Facebook & Google Are Doing It Wrong by Jon Mitchell, October 17th, Read Write Web.
- One Man’s War Against Facebook on the European Front by Joe Coscarelli, New York Magazine, October 18th.
- Diaspora* Adopts Computers, Freedom, and Privacy’s Social Network Users’ Bill of Rights, Diaspora*, October 24th.
- Interactive video turns Facebook fears into 2 minutes of horror, by Doug Cross, CNN, October 2, 8th
- The internet in the struggle against the Tunisian regime, transcript of Malek Khadhraoui’s speech at “Networked revolts” public event (Athens), Re-public
- The effect of social media in the Egyptian revolution, transcript of Tarek Amr’s speech at “Networked revolts” public event (Athens), Re-public
- Public notes from Software initatives meeting at Casa400
- Presentation Lorea, Spideralex March 14 2012
- Pitfalls along social media alternatives development, Spideralex, March 14 2012
- Ceasless – Sucker Berg (performance video), John Haltiwanger, March 10 2012
- Social Swarm, Unlike Us #2 Showcases, March 8 2012
- Lorea, Unlike Us #2 Showcases, March 8 2012
- Freedombox, Unlike Us #2 Showcases, March 8 2012
- The Global Square, Unlike Us #2 Showcases, March 8 2012